DeFreitas & Minsky Accounting Blog

What You Need to Know About the Deadline to File Taxes

Posted by admin on Apr 1, 2014 11:11:13 AM

deadline to file taxes

There are only two weeks left before Tax Day; do you have all your paperwork in order? We wanted to make sure you have access to all the information you need if you’re not sure about the deadline to file taxes for 2013, so check out the outline of what’s due on April 15!

What to Submit on the Deadline to File Taxes

For Individuals

If you plan to file on time, file your 2013 income tax return. If you’d prefer to receive a six-month extension of time to file, file the “Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return” Form 4868. You will then have until October 15 to file either Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.

Some Americans pay their 2014 income tax through withholdings, but if you don’t, or if you won’t pay enough of your tax during 2014 that way, pay the first installment of your 2014 estimated tax using Form 1040-ES.

For Employers

Deposit the tax for payments in March if the monthly rule applies for Social Security, Medicare, withheld income tax, and non-payroll withholdings. If your business is an S corporation, partnership, LLC electing partnership taxation, or a sole proprietorship, you’ll be making your first payment on April 15. If you own a corporation, your tax schedule depends on your tax year. For more information, check out our blog on estimated tax payments.

For Household Employers

 If you paid a household employee $1,800 or more in cash wages in 2013, you’ll have to file Schedule H (Form 1030) with your income tax return and report any household employment taxes. If you paid $1,000 or more in total cash wages during any quarter of 2012 or 2013 to household employees, you have to report any federal unemployment (FUTA) tax on Schedule H as well.

For Partnerships

 File Form 1065 for your 2013 calendar year return. You’ll also need to provide each of your partners with a copy of Schedule K-1 (Form 1065), also referred to as the “Partner’s Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc.” You can alternatively provide your partners with a substitute Schedule K-1. You’re able to apply for an automatic five-month extension of time to file your tax return and to provide the Schedule K-1 or substitute Schedule K-1 by filing Form 7004. If you choose the extension route, you’ll have to file Form 1065 by September 15.

For Electing Large Partnerships

File Form 1065-B for your 2013 calendar year return. You can file for an automatic six-month extension of time to file the return by filing Form 7004. Again, if you choose to do that, you’ll have to file Form 1065-B by October 15.

If you have more questions about the deadline to file taxes, or any other tax-related questions, reach out to us on Facebook for answers!

DMCPA facebook

Topics: Tax Laws, Financial Planning

DM CPA Firm Blog

Find answers to any accounting questions you have.

These questions are usually from our clients.  If you would like to send us a question, please email us at or ask on one of our social accounts.

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts

Follow Me